The mission of APA Health CARE is to Collaborate with existing health care providers and social services to improve Access, provide links to Resources, and promote health Education for medically indigent, culturally and linguistically-isolated Asian and Pacific Islander American communities in Los Angeles County.
How We Work
About twice a month we go into the community and offer free hepatitis B tests and screenings for obesity, diabetes, cholesterolemia, and hypertension. We also educate the community on health issues. Some of the many things that make us unique are our referrals and follow-up services. We don’t just leave our clients hanging. We try to get them long-term care!
The Client Experience
- Each client is assigned to a Client Navigator, whose purpose is to guide the client through the health screenings
- Medical Students & Nursing Students perform Blood Pressure, Body Mass Index, & Waist to Hip Ratio screenings
- Uninsured clients receive information regarding Local Low-Cost Health Clinics
- Clients with abnormal screenings receive Language-Specific Health Education Material as well as Physician Consultation when available.
The Volunteer Experience
- Clinical Experience: interact with clients to compile their social history, while navigating them through the health screening
- Opportunity to work alongside: Undergraduates, Medical Students, Public Health Students, Nursing Students, Phlebotomists, & Physicians
- Gratification from helping others in need
- Great friends, leadership opportunities, and exposure to the health care process